Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

12/10/2008

Put Your Faith to Work


A new ad campaign by The Episcopal Church uses the tagline "Put Your faith to Work." The idea is that youcan get actively involved in making a difference in your community through a community of faith. The campaign also uses the words:

Serving Christ in Everyone.
Everywhere. Every Day.
The Episcopal Church welcomes you.

The website for the campaign is here: Put Your Faith to Work and you can see a video of a TV ad there. I think the ads are fine. Certainly working in the soup kitchen at St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Rome, Georgia, was part of how Victoria, Griffin and I got more fully connected to the church and found some meaning in our lay ministry there. That said, I don't plan to use the new ad campaign locally. On the national ads alone, I probably wouldn't have found my way into an Episcopal Church. I would probably be a Mormon if not a Methodist, or perhaps I would worship at an Interstate Batteries distributor (see previous blog post: Powered by God's Love).

That's my take. What do you think?

peace,
Frank+
the Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 12/10/2008 6:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A MORMON???!!!!! Oh yeah...the free Bible campaign thing...

    Do you really believe any of those national TV and AD campaigns are successful? Seriously, as long as I've lived here I've only met two members of the Mormon churh and maybe one member of Interstate Batteries. :) The two main Methodist Churches in the area have huge congregations, but the many members that I know are cradle Methodists.

    I do appreciate that the campaigns are reaching out though! It would be interesting to know their success rate. But, alas, I'm a mom in the Christmas season with barely enough time to write this, let alone do research! :)

    Y'all have a blessed day and "bear the bears!"

     
  • At 12/10/2008 7:33 AM, Blogger anything but typical said…

    I think my main objection to the ads is that while preaching a social gospel is fine, it seems to put the "social" before the Gospel and it should be the other way around. Our relationship with Christ should be driving our actions.

    Debbie

     
  • At 12/10/2008 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    An old debate. How far should a church go to get people in the door.

     
  • At 12/10/2008 3:53 PM, Blogger Peter Carey said…

    I think that the Episcopal Church has so much going for it, and I'm not sure that cutting carrots and such are our strength!

    More on this later,

    Peter+
    http://santospopsicles.blogspot.com

     
  • At 5/12/2009 4:57 PM, Anonymous HP Laptop Battery said…

    Wow I wish they had something like that down here in California! I mean there are a lot of people down here and it would most definitely be a memorable day in a kodak moment type of history!
    It really does look like a fun event and I wonder what other events like it they have planned! :)
    With events like this Im sure with its positivity it will only bring people to more of these all around the world!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home