Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

3/06/2009

Plain Preaching

Earlier this week, in praying Morning Prayer using the Mission St. Clare website, I read James Keifer's brief bio of John and Charles Wesley, two of the earliest Anglican priests in Georgia, and the founders of the Methodist movement. He told how, though John extolled "plain preaching" he was a product of a classical education and quoted authors such as Horace (27 times in sermons), Virgil (21 times in sermons), Ovid, Circero, Juvenal, Aristophanes, Hadrian, Homer, Lucan, Lucretius, Persius, Pindar, Sophocles, and so on. He goes on to write:
But, although Wesley found it natural to approach the Gospel with habits of thought formed by a classical education, he was quick to recognize the value of other approaches. The early Methodist meetings were often led by lay preachers with very limited education.

John WesleyOn one occasion, such a preacher took as his text Luke 19:21, "Lord, I feared thee, because thou art an austere man." Not knowing the word "austere," he thought that the text spoke of "an oyster man." He spoke about the work of those who retrieve oysters from the sea-bed. The diver plunges down from the surface, cut off from his natural environment, into bone-chilling water. He gropes in the dark, cutting his hands on the sharp edges of the shells. Now he has the oyster, and kicks back up to the surface, up to the warmth and light and air, clutching in his torn and bleeding hands the object of his search.

So Christ descended from the glory of heaven into the squalor of earth, into sinful human society, in order to retrieve humans and bring them back up with Him to the glory of heaven, His torn and bleeding hands a sign of the value He has placed on the object of His quest. Twelve men were converted that evening.

Afterwards, someone complained to Wesley about the inappropriateness of allowing preachers who were too ignorant to know the meaning of the texts they were preaching on. Wesley, simply said, "Never mind, the Lord got a dozen oysters tonight."
Newspaper Column
Today's religion column for the Tribune & Georgian is online here: Finding the Kingdom of God on Facebook.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • At 3/06/2009 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You "miss the taste of paste???!!!" TMI!!! :)

    Other than that, I enjoyed the article even though it made me feel so... OLD! LOL :)

     
  • At 3/06/2009 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok Father Frank you brought tears to my eyes with your article!! That has been happening a lot lately. This is the first patrol that I have had facebook. It really helps me through the day sometimes. I can hear from my friends and their struggles and know I'm not alone and of course like you said catch up with photos and such. As you know many of our friends are all over!! But that is a blessing as well. Because of Geoff's job we get to meet so many interesting people. And with Facebook we can keep up with them!!

    Oh and I'm with Kelly, miss the taste of paste!! YUK!! Not taht I would know what it taste like. Must be a boy thing.
    :)

     
  • At 3/07/2009 9:51 AM, Blogger Jacqui said…

    I don't think I'm a techniphob but for now I've chosen not to join Facebook. Maybe I just want to be different - you know - NOT run with the crowd. Perhaps I just don't want to know THAT much about 150 of my closest friends or perhaps I don't want those "friends" to know that much about me. Don't get me wrong, I think Facebook has some good qualities, and for those who enjoy them, great! I just prefer - at the moment - to pick up the phone and call the friend who comes to mind. Perhaps next week I'll think differently. But for now I feel okay with not being on Facebook. Now I'm going to call a friend then go outside to enjoy this beautiful sunshine.

    (But that paste thing, Frank, that's really weird.)

     
  • At 3/09/2009 7:47 AM, Blogger King of Peace said…

    I haven't tasted paste since kindergarten, but I do have fond memories of it. If your prechooler doesn't know the simple pleasure of sneaking a finger of paste during a craft project, then make your own paste. Here's a recipe:

    You’ll Need
    * 1/3 cup of wheat flour (not self-rising)
    * 2 tbsp of sugar
    * 1 cup water
    * 1/4 tbsp oil of cinnamon

    Directions:
    Combine the flour and sugar. Mix well. Add them to a pot over low heat. Slowly add the water, stirring continuously. Work out any lumps. Cook it over low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture starts to turn clear. Remove the pot from the stove, add the oil of cinnamon and mix until well combined.

    Store the wheat paste in a clean jar with a tight fitting lid. The paste will keep for several weeks and does not need to be refrigerated.

     
  • At 3/09/2009 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The paste I remember from kindergarten did not have wheat,sugar or oil of cinnamon. It came in a plastic jar and was basically hard glue.

    So, since you had a much better paste with natural ingredients, I guess I can understand why you TASTED PASTE! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home