Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

7/05/2007

Connections

Todi, Italy viewed from the nearby countrysideTodi, Italy seen from the countryside

View inside the church of San Fortunato where Jacopne is buriedIsn't it odd how you meet someone and then soon after, you see that person all over the place? How many times you must have passed by one another before, but you never had met and so there was no spark of recognition, no connection. Then, once you meet, there the person is at the grocery store, in the car ahead of you at the red light, everywhere.

Yesterday, I was with my wife at the Fourth of July parade in Saint Marys and we ran into a LOT of people we know. We also passed by a lot of people with no recoginition. Yet even those we didn't recognize are people we may meet and come to know well later. But we passed by without knowing one another yesterday.

Jacapone's Monastery at San FortunatoOne connection we made on our recent trip to Italy is that we lived for a week in Todi, Italy. It was a small medeival village perched on a hill in Umbria, a region in central Italy. I would never have imagined that I had any knowledge of anyone who lived in Todi. Yet, while there, we saw various things about Jacopone da Todi (c.1236–1306) an early Franciscan buried beneath the altar at church near our apartment.

I decided to Google Jacopone on our return. Here is some of what I discovered:
The former proud doctor of law, Jacopo dei Benedetti, mocked and scoffed at by the boys in the streets of Todi, received the nickname of Jacopone. Once, saddled and bridled like an ass, he crawled on all fours in the public square of Todi; on another occasion, to the great confusion of his family, he appeared at a wedding in his brother's house, tarred and feathered from top to toe. When asked by a citizen to carry home a pair of capons for him, Jacopone brought them to the man's family tomb, saying that this was his true house. Jacopone's folly was however the folly of the Cross, as he says:

Senno me pare e cortesia
Empazir per lo bel Messia.
(A wise and courteous choice he'd make
Who'd be a fool for the dear Lord's sake.)
I found that in addition to becoming a Fool for Christ, he is also the likely author of the 13th century Latin hymn Stabat Mater Delarosa. Oddly enough, my wife, Victoria, and I wrote a Stations of the Cross service earlier this year in which we used the text of that hymn within the service. We had quoted the village of Todi's best-known poet a few months before coming to spend a week there.

A doorway in TodiIt's odd how these connections work. I think it shows how the world is smaller and the communion of saints more closely woven together than we usualy appreciate.

Have you experienced this sort of surprise connection as well?

peace,
Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor

PS: Here is a link to some of Jacopone's poetry: Selected poetry of Jacapone da Todi

Cuurious about "our" apartment instead? The rental information is here: Casa LeFavi. It's owned by the Rev. Bob LeFavi, the priest at St. Luke's Effingham, another recent church plant in the Diocese of Georgia.


Todi, Italy Todi, Italy
More photos of Todi, click any of the photos here to see a larger version of the same picture.

Piazza del Poppolo, TodiTodi today as Jacopone might have trouble recognizing it.

walking in TodiA resident walks one of the steep streets of Todi.

Todi, Italy Todi, Italy
Two views of the same street with one of the town's many cats.

Piazza del Poppolo in Todi ItalyThe main square where Jacopone was once humiliated

Todi, Italy Todi, Italy

Todi Italy at nightA Todi street by night

Todi, Italy Todi, Italy
Todi's narrow medieval streets

Todi bathed in that Umbrian light painter's so cravedTodi bathed in that Umbrian light painters so craved

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 7/06/2007 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I moved into my home here in Camden County 12 years ago and instantly became friends with a much older couple that lived next door. My husband and I kept their lawn mowed, house repaired and I planted flowers for his wife when she suffered a major illness, in hopes it would brighten her day when she came home from the hospital. I spent many hours with the older gentleman drinking coffee,eating cookies, and listening to many reason why I should go to church. Even though I never became a member of my nieghbors church, our friendship continued to grow. Infact he often said for some reason It felt like I was family. When my nieghbor past away, My family was asked to sit with his famliy during the funeral. About six months after his death a distant relative ( I didn't even know I had) emailed me from Germany. He was into genealogy and through that he found me. He sent me a copy of my Great Great Great Granmothers famliy history from when they immigrated to the United States from France. There were so many members in the family the last name was changed for half the family. So, to make this long story shorter, after some research, I was my neighbors cousin. We were related! We were family! I look at people I meet a little differently now. The experience has left me forever changed.

    Robin Rapp

     

Post a Comment

<< Home