Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

8/09/2008

Don't Be Afraid


In tomorrow's Gospel reading Jesus' disciples are rowing across the Sea of Galilee in a storm and see him walking on the water. They were afraid, but he calls out for them to take heart and not be afraid, then,
Peter answered him, "Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water." He said, "Come." So Peter got out of the boat, started walking on the water, and came toward Jesus. But when he noticed the strong wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, "Lord, save me!" Jesus immediately reached out his hand and caught him, saying to him, "You of little faith, why did you doubt?" When they got into the boat, the wind ceased. And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."
Blooming Catus blog offers these thoughts on the passage:
“Do not be afraid.” The scriptures make this announce- ment over and over again. These are usually the first words out of angel’s mouths. Abraham, Moses, Mary, Joseph, shepherds tending their flocks, Paul sitting in a jail cell, the women looking for Christ’s body at Easter and disciples rowing a boat in the strong wind all hear these words. In all, these words occur almost 100 times in the scriptures. Apparently, humans are very fearful creatures and we are in need of faith to function properly in the world....

Fear comes in many forms, private and public. It knows no ideological boundaries and none of us are ever completely free of it in making decisions. Letting go of fear and facing ourselves is as frightening as the thought and stepping out of our safe boats and walking across the water as if it were dry land. I’m not sure Jesus really expected Peter to walk on water and I certainly don’t expect to walk on water any time soon. I struggle to have faith and to honestly face my fears. But I’m willing to believe that there is life outside the boat, constantly rowing into the wind. I trust in faith that Jesus point the way to the shore. With Jesus near me, the rising seas of my fears will not have me.
The full text of the reflection is online here: Don't Be Afraid.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 8/09/2008 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There are times our faith is very strong, then at times, we look around us and see what scares us. This is when my faith is questioned, I fear what I cannot control and my faith is almost lost.

    If we can for a moment hold on tight to that faith and use it as an anchor to hold us tight. We can get through anything. To be able to hold onto even an ounce of our faith that the Lord will be with us and see us through.

    When we take our eyes of the Lord and start looking to the things that are tempting, scaring or controlling us is when we will sink.

     
  • At 8/09/2008 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fear is a natural and instinctive mechanism that we have for physical survival.

    Faith is what we nurture for the survival of the soul.

    I don't understand why it is so easy to allow fear to overwhelm us and penetrate our souls, and it is so very difficult to cultivate our faith to that extent.

    Fear grabs hold of us while we so desperately try to maintain a grip on faith.

     
  • At 8/09/2008 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Does God give us difficulties to strengthen our faith or to test it?

    We can say to Him, I trust you and have faith that this is happening for a reason. God takes back what he gave me and I still have faith that it was done for a better reason than I can understand.

    What is it called when we do not understand but still believe that God will reveal why some day.

    This is my question.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home