Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

3/12/2009

Ways to Return

Frank's photo of Assissi, Italy
Unfortunately, the practice of entering into the Lenten season has often been reduced to the question: “What are you giving up for Lent?” This is a fine question, but it can only take us so far.

The real question of the Lenten season is: "How will I find ways to return to God with all my heart?"
—Ruth Haley Barton

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 3/12/2009 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is the first year I can say I have truly participated in Lent. I'm am enjoying it very much and noticing things. So far it is mostly how so many people that don't have anything to complain about, do complain. The ones that should complain do not, wierd huh? I gave up chocolate and at first I was struggling!! Trying to find things to fill that taste. But it didn't work. Kind of like others in this world that try to find other things to fill their hearts instead of Jesus and it just doesn't work. I feel Him closer to me during this lent season. So I believe what Father Frank said that a lot of people look forward to this part of the year. At first I was like sure, ok. But I believe it now.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home