Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

10/03/2009

Dealing with Divorce

In tomorrow's Gospel reading, Jesus deals directly with divorce. He is asked whether Jewish law permits divorce and responds,
Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her; and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery.
I have dealt with this directly in the sermon, Dealing with Divorce, which I preached three years ago, when we last encountered this reading in worship. I said in part:

I am preaching about divorce this morning. And I know that I am playing with live ammunition. Most of us have been divorced, or have parents or others dear to us who have. Or you have considered divorce or might before the week is out. But rest assured, both of my parents were married to others before marrying and having me, so I can’t be so completely against the practice that I deny my own existence. Instead, I want to help you find out what Jesus teaches on this subject on which everyone has an opinion and with which most everyone has experience.

The sermon goes on to try to live up to its promise to deal directly with this thorny issues with compassion that does justice to Jesus' teaching. It's online here: Dealing with Divorce.

peace,
Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor

Note:
Our annual Blessing of the Animals will be held this morning at 9:30 a.m. in Waterfront Park in St. Marys. I will officiate with Fr. Gabe Cummings and Pastor Verdell Griffin.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home