Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

7/15/2007

Jesus remains...

In a recent sermon, Anglican Archbishop of Cape Town, Njongonkulu Ndungane said,
If anyone wants to pick a fight with me about my faith, let it be on the grounds of my relationship with Jesus, and my belief in who he is: the belief to which Scripture attests and the creeds affirm.

Jesus remains the eternal Word made flesh.

Jesus remains the second person of the Trinity, pre-existent from before all time, taking on human form.

Njongonkulu Ndunga at Westminster for this sermonJesus remains fully God and fully human – the double homoousios to which the Nicene creed affirms.

Jesus remains the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world, who breaks the chains of death. No-one else can do this.

Jesus remains the crucified one who was raised to new life. In twenty-first century scientific terms, we do not know how to describe his risen body – but we do know he was raised, and we do know he ascended, and we do know he sits at the Father's right hand, where he ever makes intercession for us.

Jesus Christ remains the same, yesterday, today and for ever!

So, even though some of the church is in turmoil over issues of human sexuality, that should never become the touchstone of orthodox belief.

Rather, let the heart of your faith be your love for God, responding to God's love in Christ for you.

And if anyone asks you where you stand, be confident in saying with Paul

'I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I how live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life that I live now in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.'

Amen.
The full text of the sermon is online here: Archbishop Ndungane's Sermon at Westminster Abbey.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home